More than 140 years of experience…
Located in Mannheim, Germany and operating under the name Caterpillar Energy Solutions GmbH since 2013, the company and its brand MWM has more than 140 years of experience in the field of energy generation. It is a market leader in the field of high-performance and environmentally-friendly and advanced powersolutions for decentralized power and heat cogeneration.
It is widely known as a manufacturer of gas gensets characterized by a wide power output range (from 400 to 4,300 kW). Gas-powered units manufactured in Mannheim are fuelled by gases of different origin, e.g. natural gas, biogas, landfill gas, etc. Due to its fuel-saving technology, the company supports responsible public use of natural resources. The company has a strong conviction that implementation of the ecology-oriented solutions may also be economically profitable.
An outline of the history
MWM was founded in 1871 by famous engine inventor and constructor Carl Benz, who initiated the era of gas engines. For a number of years, MWM was known as Motoren-Werke Mannheim (MWM) factory.
- 1878/1880 - first two gas engines were built and comissioned in Benz workshop. A horizontal two-stroke crosshead engine was the first operable genset from the Benz company
- In October 1883 - the partnership Benz & Co., Rheinische Gasmotorenfabrik in Mannheim, Germany was founded by Carl Friedrich Benz, Max Rose, and Friedrich Esslinger
- In January 1886 – the “patent motorcar”, the first vehicle with an autonomous combustion engine and electrical ignition was registered
- In May 1899 – Benz & Cie. was renamed Benz & Cie., Rheinische Gasmotorenfabrik AG and soon after was the largest automotive manufacturer in the world
- In 1910 – the production of diesel engines started in Mannheim
- In 1922 – the department for the construction of stationary engines of Benz & Cie., Rheinische Gasmotorenfabrik AG, was spun off under the name Motorenwerke Mannheim
- In 1926 – MWM started concentrating exclusively on the construction of diesel engines
- In 1953 – MWM started producing air-cooled small diesel engines.
- In 1985 – MWM was sold to Deutz AG, Cologne,
- Since 1992 – the activities in the field of gas engines have been stepped up
- In 1998 – Motorenwerke Mannheim AG was fully integrated in DEUTZ AG
- In 2008 – after the earlier change of the name MWM to the DEUTZ Power Systems the company returned to the name MWM GmbH
- In 2009 – several technology updates further increased the performance and efficiency of MWM gensets
- In November 2011- MWM becomes part of Caterpillar Inc., USA
- In 2013 – MWM GmbH renames to Caterpillar Energy Solutions GmbH
The innovative approach of engineers as well as the design of new solutions, contributed to the current position of MWM as one of the leading and most reputable brands in the field of gas engines and power generators sets.